Each ZIFOCAPTM capsule contains Carbonyl Iron INN 51mg (as Elemental Iron 50 mg), Folic acid USP 0.5 mg and Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate BP 61.8 mg equivalent to Zinc 22.5 mg.
Carbonyl iron is a highly purified form with smallest particle size, highest iron content, a very high absorption potential, and hence a higher bioavailability. Carbonyl Iron is essentially pure iron (98%) unlike most other irons which contain iron salts such as iron fumarate and iron gluconate. Traditional medicinal forms of iron, such as iron salts are poorly absorbed. Absorption is often less than 1% of the amount present, and the unabsorbed iron causes other problems such as constipation (especially in pregnancy), or less commonly looseness can result. Unlike iron salts, elemental iron is virtually non-toxic. It is an essential trace element with a long history of safe use in foods and medicines.
Chemically Folic acid is L-Glutamic acid, N-[4-[[(2-amino-1,4-dihydro-4-oxo-6-pteridinyl)methyl]amino]benzoyl]-; a co-enzymes, work in unison in a large number of enzymatic reactions of physiological importance and advised to be taken in tandem.
Zinc as Sulphate Monohydrate Zinc is necessary for proper functioning of over 200 metalloenzymes.
- Iron, folic acid and zinc deficiency.
- Incidents of iron deficiency can occur such as pregnancy and lactation
- Prevention and treatment of nutritional iron deficiency Anemia
- Patient with mal-absorption syndrome
- Patient who are taking NSAIDs for long period
- Patients of Chronic inflammatory disease
- Patients of Gastrectomy
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of the formulation
- Patients undergoing repeated blood transfusions
- Anaemia not produced by iron deficiency (unless an iron deficiency is present)
- Caution for patients with iron-shortage, iron-absorption disease, Haemoglobinopathy or existing gastro-intestinal disease.
Dark stools are usual during iron therapy. Nausea and other symptoms of gastrointestinal irritation, such as anorexia, vomiting, constipation and diarrhoea are sometimes encountered. Zinc may also produce gastrointestinal upset. These timed release capsules are designed to reduce the possibility of gastrointestinal irritation. There have been rare reports of allergic reactions.